Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Man (and Me!) Overboard

In an effort to de-funkify my current mood, I turned to two of my time-tested favorites: weepy movie and the pool.

Yesterday, I was "lucky" enough to run across Message in a Bottle, a 1999 Nicholas Sparks adaptation. In this movie, Robin Wright Penn finds these letters in these bottles and falls in love with the author. She then tries to find this author (she's a reporter, y'see), and it turns out that Kevin Costner has been writing letters to his dead wife who he still loves. Gets you right in the heart, eh? Welllll...not so much. I'm not that big of a Costner fan, and this isn't my favorite genre, either. He and Wright Penn make an ok coupleā€”at least the scenes that they're in are appropriately hot. But something felt "off" about their romance, and I couldn't put my finger on it until he dove into the ocean to save this one woman while she was busy drowning, and he didn't have a lifejacket on. Honey (I'd tell Robin Wright Penn) don't ever fall in love with somebody's not goin' t'wear a lifejacket. So, yeah, he died.

After the movie finished, I wasn't appropriately waterlogged (myself) so I decided to go for a swim. I was about 8 laps into my swim when people started coming to the pool. Why the hell do people come to a pool when someone is already there? And exercising, no less? Since I'm definitely not "10"-worthy, I think I must be some sort of pool messiah ("Come to Violet! Come to the pool!). Anyway, the first two people to get there were these two guys who were conducting the most rambunctious game of catch possible for their early 20s demographic. The next two people (thank God!) were chicks who only came for the sun. But, yeah, I had to swim around the rowdy guys which, I must say, doesn't make the messiah happy. At least I didn't try to flirt with them and then pee in the pool. Ahem.

What about my mood? It got a little better; at least I got to redirect my energy to people who deserve to die (Kevin Costner) and people who just want to play a little catch in my kingdom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home