Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Saturday, June 23, 2007

All Crafting, All the Time

Hello again! For those of ya'll none-too-enamored of DIY and personal crafting communities, you'll have to tune me out for a few entries. Since I haven't had much to write about lately, I've decided to discuss some of my recent handiwork. Today's entry: Reupolstery! Huzzah!

Last summer, I was on a "family calendar" kick (12 months of wicked-bad photo collage), but, this summer, it's been reupholstery. Though I did a slap-dash covering on a couch I owned three or so years ago, my most recent project has been my grandma's old boudoir chair. Unfortunately, I didn't take "before" pictures. If you'll picture it in threadbare gold brocade with a 4 inch skirt around the bottom and a five-sectioned back, that will give you a rough estimate of what it used to look like. This is the finished product after covering. (And, yes, Lady Rips-a-Lot loves this chair.) I covered it in rose colored crushed velvet—mmm! Also, I managed to do the whole job with no sewing whatsoever. Thank God for the staple gun.

After this project, I worked on a couch and chair for the graduate bullpen office (I'll include those pictures in a later posting). More recently, though, Jolanda left us to move back with her folks, prepare her dissertation for publication, and ready herself for a fall graduation. With tears in our hearts, we bid her a fond adieu. And took her castoff furniture. I was lucky enough to get a well-made Ikea couch with a removable grey cover. One bottom cushion was ripped, and I judged the back pillows as too-wonky for salvage. One large foam back piece and nine yards of funky square-blob fabric later, and I have one busy-assed couch. Since the couch fabric I picked is so strong, I figured I'd use the same pillows that I'd used to grace my futon-couch—gold and fake-furry white. Here are some before and after pics.

At any rate, I think I've officially moved from this crafting phase to a packing-for-moving phase. Come late July, I'll be moving in with Reginald Witherspoon and Velda. And, yes, I'm taking as many volunteers to help me as I can get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home