Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Enduring Obsessions: Baggin' It

In recent months, I've realized just how different I seem to be from most of the populace. In general, I have a hard time filtering through information because I tend to give too much weight to ideas or tasks. For example, when I last went to Borders with Andretta, I noticed that she casually looks through the stacks of many different genres and buys things spontaneously. I don't. Usually, if I go to a bookstore, I know exactly what I am looking for, or I am researching one certain book or shopping through one certain genre. Also, I typically "pre-approve" my purchases before entering a store. If I happen to find something I'd like, I deliberate over it for a bit before laying out the money. If I were to "casually" look through a genre of books without preparing myself for this task, I'd get anxious. Why? The process needed for such consideration can be daunting when I'm not prepared. Weird huh? And, of course, Randle and others can attest to the process I employ when cleaning house. Methodical. On "lock." Oddly unsettling.

So, when I tell you I have been "purse shopping" for the last few months, you should know I'm kind of caught up in it. Y'see, since I went to New York to visit Jake, I've been dreaming about some felt purses I saw there but didn't buy (curses!). Looking through some websites, I've found that plenty of people are making some "fly" purses that I'd like to own. But, of course, there are the issues. Most often, these boil down to price—I don't want to break the bank here—and size. What the hell is going on with purses these days!?! I keep finding them as big as overnight bags. Geez! Anyway, let me present the parade of purses:

This is a cute little number from Daisy Jane. Not too big and quite reasonably priced. I love the look of this picture, but the larger picture looks kind of off in a way I can't yet put words to. Also, one of my reservations about this purse is that I don't think I wear any of these colors such that the purse would end up being clashy whenever I used it. Not good. But, as you might well know, the retro flower fabric is all me.

My second purse is from the Keeta Collection. It's called something like "Boho Cowgirl," and I expect that's one aspect of my "style," if I may be so bold as to use this term. One thing I love about it is the mix of fabrics. Even though I don't wear the primary colors used in this purse, I wear a lot of the in-betweens such that I think this would blend well with a lot of my wardrobe. The problem here is that this purse is so dang big. It's 11.5 inches wide and 6.5 inches tall, and I consider that a kind of weird differential. It's a bit rectangle. I mean, the purse itself isn't huge, but the dimensions seem weird to me.

Ok, the next bag is from Rosie Ro, and it's a tote bag. With an owl on it. In my favorite color. Who doesn't want a green owl tote bag? Honestly! Um...ok, it's a little too big. I guess I don't understand the whole "tote bag" ethic. It seems a little too roomy for my taste. Y'see, I need a handbag here; I already own a backpack. Even so, I don't have any fabric bags which I can hide behind when I see people I don't want to associate with in public. Hmm...good point.

Speaking of tote bags, here's another one from Nappa Studios, but I love, love, love this bag for a few different reasons. One, it's a smaller tote than others I've seen—the website lists it at 10.75x8. Also, it's made out of a vintage kimono. Of all the other bags that I've seen, I keep reminding myself that I can't make this bag. The artist uses a few different colors. This version is more orange and the version I would likely buy would be more red. But the most beautiful fabric, which she labelled "Michelle" is a gorgeous pink, red, white, and green mixture. SOLD OUT. That's right kids. Gone. Dam-eet! While this bag is a little costly, it's been the frontrunner for some time. Ohyeahand let me show you another incarnation of her work. I love the fabric and make of this bag. It's more costly than the tote, and would be perfect...if...it wasn't 14 freakin' inches across. Am I checking luggage here!?! Whatever. So frustrating.

And then: the Holy Grail of purses. The purse for which handcrafters are lauded the world round. Witness: Marimekko Blum Bag. OOOOOOOOOO! Preeeetty! Vi likey! Vi want baggy! So tell us Marimekko Blum Bag, how big are you? You look like you're just the right size for one to sling you over one's shoulder and make one's way down the street—kicky and alive. 19.5x11!?! Sonofabitch! I need an Advil.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home