Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

That's Entertainment!

It's that time of year, folks. Yes, it's award season for all the gifted actors out there. I caught a bit of the Golden Globes last night and figured I'd give a "shout-out" to some of the people who I don't know but whose work I admire. I read a blog once where this was called "gently stalking." Ok, well, it looks as if two movies that I'll have to see this year are Borat, which Andretta highly recommends and for which Sasha Baron Cohen won "Best Actor in a Musical or Comedy," and The Last King of Scotland, for which Forest Whitaker won "Best Actor in a Drama." I hear that Forest Whitaker is undeniable. Poor Leo DiC—bad year to be up for awards. Also, I'll have to get out and see leading ladies Helen Mirren (BA'ess/Drama, The Queen) and Meryl Streep (BA'ess/Musical or Comedy, The Devil Wears Prada). Come to think of it, where the hell have I been this movie season!?! I swear, the only movie I've seen that was nominated is Little Miss Sunshine. Note to self: take off month, view new releases.

Since I've caught "award fever," I'd like to give out a few offbeat awards. First, I will bestow the "Most Photogenic Couple" award. Based on the pics I reviewed, this is a toss up between actual couple Heidi Klum and Seal and screen-couple-who-reunited
-at-Golden-Globes Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio. Having awarded "best" honors, I feel justified in offering a "worst" as well. Witness: Cameron Diaz and Martin Scorsese. Yikes.

My second category of awards goes to guest appearances on TV shows. Ok, ok, this may be lazy, but it does show that I'm conscious and taking part in pop culture. So, for "Best Female Guest Star" goes to Brooke Smith who I've seen in both Grey's Anatomy and Crossing Jordan. Brooke Smith is just fabulous. I first saw her playing Buffalo Bill victim Catherine Martin in Silence of the Lambs. Since then, she's had turns in Series 7, a bizarre drama/spoof of reality TV shows (one in which contestants must kill each other), and Iron Jawed Angels, a movie about Alice Paul and the suffrage movement. Note to all future directors: give this woman more work! As for "Best Male Guest Star," this award has to go to Sung Kang who played Han in The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift. Recently, I've seen him do a hilarious turn on Mad TV as President Gin Kew Yun Chun Yew Nee, and just last night I saw him on CSI: Miami. Note to parents and friends—if I ever go missing, you will be able to find me in the glorious forest of Sung Kang's magestic hair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home