Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Thursday, January 18, 2007

With Regret, I Vote for "McSelfish"

Since I didn't tune in to all of the preliminary Golden Globes shows or after-show press, it looks as if I missed another big stink surrounding Grey's Anatomy. Unfortunately, Isaiah Washington used this awards show as an opportunity to talk about an earlier incident on the Grey's set. This first incident was said to have occurred in October, and a report from TMZ.com records it as follows: "A simmering feud between the two actors bubbled over last week, when Washington reportedly got in [Patrick] Dempsey's face, said some 'disgusting things,' then allegedly pushed 'McDreamy' against a wall and choked him." Ok, not good. Further, the website notes, "As for the 'Grey's Anatomy' melee, there are reports that Washington taunted Dempsey by saying, 'I'm not your little faggot like [name redacted],' referring to a fellow cast member. Yesterday, 'Grey's' cast member T. R. Knight revealed to PEOPLE magazine that he's gay, possibly prompted by public revelation of Washington's outburst." Whoa. So, there are a few things going on here: reported physical violence, an alleged slur, and the possible forced outing of a co-worker.

I'll admit that, when I first heard about this incident, I did not want to believe it was true. Isaiah Washington is one of my favorite actors on the show, and I love the aloof but vulnerable Preston Burke. Isaiah, you had me at "following a sexy ghost only to fall off a ledge on Ghostship" but as "Preston Burke lays in hospital bed with Christina after her miscarriage," I was putty in your hands. So what gives with the wack-assed behavior? On the red carpet at the Golden Globes, he apparently said to an Access Hollywood reporter, "I love gay. I wanted to be gay. Please let me be gay." Wha-haaa? Um, Isaiah, are you aware that a good many gay people don't actually want to be gay and that gay teens have a much higher suicide rate than the rest of the population? Moreover, if one is a lucky enough homosexual individual to be happy with his/her identity, many times one has to struggle for acceptance from friends, family, and community. Isaiah, your comments here, on your own interview time, smack of weirdness if not downright insensitivity.

Fast-forward to the after-awards-show interview. Apparently, the first question concerned the fight and slur (for which Washington appologized in an October issue of People). T. R. Knight piped up "What Fight?" but Washington stepped in front of creator and writer Ms. Shonda Rhimes and said, ''No, I did not call T.R. a faggot. Never happened.'' To borrow an '80s phrase—are you mental? You already issued an appology. Now, Isaiah, I did not see, firsthand, the purported original fight, and I would love to give you the benefit of the doubt. But. Did your mother never teach you any manners!?! You stepped in front of Ms. Shonda Rhimes, the woman who created the vehicle in which you are acting. The woman who gave you an amazing character and amazing lines and an amazing opportunity. This, I saw this with my own eyes, and let me tell you that this was selfish behavior. In an effort to make yourself look better, you effectively shat on the whole cast. And let me remind you that you did this at a time in which your character cannot operate because of a hand injury. And what happens to people who can't operate on a show about surgeons? That's right—they leave to find another job. Believe me when I tell you that this action makes me think you capable of the physical assault and verbal slur that you have been accused of putting forth. Not cool. Seriously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home