Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

I'll call this chapter "Angry Recriminations"
(modified from an entry written 2 February 2006)

For those of you who know me, I am currently embroiled in political intrigue within a student organization at a major public university. For the past few weeks, our listserv has been experiencing a shitstorm of activity raning from thoughful and professional comments to the downright catty. At this point, I've gotten prettty depressed by it all. So, in terms of making a bad situation into a good one, I think I'll extend my proposed autobiography The Past One and a Half Days: My Autobiography in Minutae to include the whole hullabaloo that continues to be my experience in a leadership position. I will title this chapter (Chapter 2?) "Angry Recriminations." I'm not sure what "recriminations" means, but I'm too lazy to look it up right now and it sounds fantastic! (If, at a later time, it turns out that "recriminations" means something like "invitations to dinner," I'll change the wording to something more appropriate.)

In this chapter, I plan to use the listserv posts (that's right - all of them). (For those of ya'll in the literature field, that means this novel will be epistolary.) I think this is a brilliant idea for two reasons a) some of those posts are downright funny - I couldn't make that shit up and b) if I concentrate on source material, the book'll write itself. Really, I'm about 1/12th through the text as we speak. (Y'know? January is one-twelth of a year - my tenure in office.) And, at any rate, people love epistolary novels.

Wait a minute...and sex! Or some such bad behavoir! Yes, at some point, I should become intimately involved with someone highly inappropriate. Preferably, someone in a pirate or cowboy outfit or a Scottish kilt (as, alas!, there aren't any actual pirates, cowboys, or Scottsmen (to my knowledge) in the program). Or, you know, I could get a nemesis - someone who wants to see me out of power and is hungry for my job (Steph...?). Man, if I'm going to maintain this level of drama, I'd do well to go out and buy some Bob Mackie outfits and Alexis Carrington-style blue and purple eye makeup...

See you at the signing party!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home