Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Ye gods! What's that Smell?
(written 13 February 2006)

I'm glad you asked! The answer would be "the end of that otherwise fantastic Grey's Anatomy episode." Being cable-challenged and having had my typical NBC show pre-empted by some global arctic-loving cult of athletes, I happily tuned in to Grey's Anatomy last night (I think that this was a re-broadcast of the episode that aired after the Super Bowl, but I could be wrong). At any rate, it was a rollercoaster ride of action which included the following completely plausible chain of events:

1. Some guy had a bomb lodged somewhere in his body ("gut" would be my guess). Some resident had to keep her hand on it so it didn't move around and blow up the hospital. Also to keep him from "bleeding out." Ohyeah, and the operating room they're in (first) is over the main oxygen line for the operating rooms. Dicey!

2. Some pregnant doctor, already in labor, was refusing to have her baby because her husband wasn't there. He was in surgery somewhere else in the same hospital. As the baby finally presents itself, the husband dies for, like, a nanosecond until the doctor punches him (after trying other, medically approved, options). Then, he's back!

3. Some doctor who is trying to handle the bomb crisis collapses. They think he's had a heart attack, but it was actually an anxiety attack.

4. Two residents who have formerly evinced a ragining distaste for one another get it on in a janitor's closet.

Ok, so given this sequence of events - events which give me no pause whatsoever until this point - the episode ends as the resident with the bomb-eater successfully pulls the bomb out and gives it to the bomb squade dude. As the bomb squad dude walks down the hall with it, the resident rounds the corner to watch him. The bomb then detonates, killing him and blowing the quaintly inquisitive resident halfway down a corridor.

Now, I'm not a big "medical show" fan. I've watched ER maybe two full times and never caught a St. Elsewhere episode in my life. But, what I do know is crime shows. And when a bomb detonates in your general vicinity, the first order of business is not to have your two resident hottie friends bathe you in the community shower, and the second order of business is not to go immediately to your own home. Call me crazy, but wouldn't one prefer to have a full physical and a stay for observation in...hmm...THE HOSPITAL? The hospital - oh say - that you ALREADY WORK IN? Furthermore, could we perhaps do without the scene where you wonder to your married lover when the last time was that you kissed, and instead, think about the bomb dude and his bomb dude friends who died directly in front of you? I mean, that would have to have been one hell of a kiss to make me forget my having seen people blown to pieces. Then again, I'm not a hottie doctor.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel as if this Grey's Anatomy has singed the eyebrows of my credulity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home