Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Sunday, April 16, 2006

One from the Road

Last night, my friends and I were coming back from Atlanta and ran across an interesting sign. It proclaimed:

Hide steaks instead this year, and cause a frenzy!

This took me a minute to figure out. Err...hide? Ohyeah: Easter. Time-honored tradition of egg-hiding, yes, yes! To my recollection, the only time in which the hiding of foodstuffs is acceptible, as I'm sure Halloween and Thanksgiving would become cannibalistic chaos were candy and casseroles rendered inaccessible. So, yeah, this was a beef advertisement, but I find the prospect of hiding meat disturbing on three fronts. First, I don't eat it. The only "frenzy" a hidden steak would cause me and my friends is a door-finding-and-utilizing one. Second: steaks will rot, yo? In my family, we would hide chocolate eggs which came in handy because, after the official egg hunt, we kept finding stragglers for the rest of the year. That's laissez-faire egg-hiding and finding for you. Finally, why would you advise hiding flesh to celebrate a holiday associated with resurrection? Yikes. This is worse than the year I watched Rosemary's Baby on cable one Easter. Who greenlights that kind of programming? I guess my point is that advertisers should remember multiple meanings of a holiday before rushing into an ill-conceived ad campaign. Advice: it's what's for dinner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home