Gaines-sayings

They grow culture in a petri dish.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Top Ten Reasons I Love Being an Academic

10. Keys to the building; "secret code" to the mailroom.
9. Co-workers and family don't necessarily know what "you do" without the hassles of physical and firearms training of the Special Forces, top security clearances of CIA and NSA, or pesky fictional names/histories of the Witness Protection Program.
8. Choice of anonymity in university phonebook—got a "D" in my class and want to egg my car? Tough luck finding me.
7. When writing papers for publication, using words that MS Word doesn't recognize.
6. Free booze at keynote speeches.
5. Ivory Tower not made out of real ivory.
4. Occasional free review books from publishers and guaranteed free desk copies of books I teach in class.
3. Do most of my work in 'jammies specifically purchased for at-home work.
2. Get to make a living formulating and supporting my ideas about stuff I read or movies I watch. Y'know, like my possible article on Zoolander and Melville's "Benito Cereno"?
1. Midnight: you're asleep or watching TV; I'm getting some serious work done.

2 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Blogger Monkey McWearingChaps said...

good luck to you and Andretta as you finish up your theses...I'm strongly considering going to her Ph.d graduation...IF she shows up. I told her that she has to attended a graduation for 1 of her degrees and seeing as this is the last one...

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger Violet said...

Thanks so much! - it would be cool to meet you. She's so excited about the California trip - she talks about you guys so lovingly that I feel I almost know you. Hope you all have a fun visit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home